Vermont Governor Peter Shumlin held a press conference at Essex High School on November 10 to recognize Chittenden Central Supervisory Union (CCSU) and the Essex Town School District (ETSD) for joining to become the first unified union school district under Act 46 in the state of Vermont.
Just one week prior, Essex Junction, Essex Town and Westford residents voted to form one unified district, which will be known as the Essex Westford Educational Community Unified Union School District starting on July 1, 2017.
Governor Shumlin was joined by Education Secretary Rebecca Holcombe, House Speaker Shap Smith, Chairman of the House of Education Committee Dave Sharpe, Essex Rep. Tim Jerman, CCSU Superintendent Judith DeNova, ETSD Superintendent Mark Andrews, Essex Town School Board and new unified union board member Kim Gleason, and EHS senior Emily Goodrich.
Burlington Free Press
Below are the results from the school unification vote that took place on November 3:
Yes – 1,000
No – 123
Yes – 1,154
No – 183
Yes – 422
No – 207
Board members elected
1-year seat (2): Keeley Schell and one open seat
2-year seat: Diane Clemens
3-year seat: Marla Durham
1-year seat: Brendan Kinney
2-year seat: Liz Subin
3-year seat (2): Kim Gleason and Al Bombardier
1-year seat: Andre Roy
2-year seat: Martha Heath
Thank you to everyone who came out and voted today. More information will be shared as it becomes available.
This is your one-stop-shop for all things related to the proposed school unification vote, which will take place on Tuesday, November 3.
- Click here to read the report of the RED Study Committee
- Click here for frequently asked questions
- Click here to view a short informational video
- Click on the following communities to view the warning
- Click on the following communities to view a sample ballot
- Click here to meet the candidates running for seats on the potential new school board
- The informational hearings are scheduled for the following
- Essex Junction and Essex Town: Monday, Nov. 2 starting at 7 p.m. in the EHS Cafeteria | Minutes
- Westford: Monday, Nov. 2 at 7 p.m. at Westford School
- Don’t forget to vote on Tuesday, Nov. 3 from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. in the following locations
- Essex Junction residents: Essex High School
- Essex Town residents: Essex Middle School
- Westford residents: Westford School
Study Committee Report | Informational Video | FAQ
On November 3, voters in Essex Junction, Essex Town and Westford will vote on whether or not to form a unified school district. On that same date, candidates that would serve on a new board, should the proposal be adopted, will need to be elected. Continue reading
RED Informational Video | Sept. Public Forum Q&A | VT Digger Article
The RED Study Committee hosted three public forums in the month of October to help answer any questions that the three communities might have leading up to the November 3 vote.
Did you miss the three forums this month? You can now view the presentation that was given.
September Public Forums Q&A
After months of study, a committee of 20 citizens of Essex Junction, Essex Town and Westford unanimously proposed creating a unified school district among our three communities.
On November 3, voters in those three communities will vote on whether or not to form a unified school district. Please come to a community forum to learn more and discuss this important proposal with your neighbors! Continue reading
Did you miss the first round of public forums to discuss the potential unified school district? The presentation from the three forums and responses to the questions asked are now available below. Stay tuned, as three more public forums will be announced soon for the month of October. Continue reading